Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chicken Paprikash with Homemade Dumplings




Chicken Paprikash over Homemade Dumplings

I'm starting my new blog with one of our family's favorite meals. Chicken paprikas, also spelled Chicken paprikash , it is of Hungarian origin.  Paprikash can be made may ways.  I choose to serve mine over dumplings instead of potatoes

Ingredients:
8 chicken thighs, skin on preferably....you can use whole chicken cut up
1/2 cup flour for dredging
2 large onions, chopped or sliced
2 red peppers & 1 yellow pepper....your preference here, most definitely can use hot peppers
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 T Hot paprika & 1 T smoked paprika (use sweet if you prefer)
4 cups chicken broth
8oz sour cream
1 t Garlic salt
S & P to individual taste
Parsley for garnish



Dredge chicken in flour that has been slightly seasoned with a PINCH of the above spices, and saute, on moderately high heat, both sides using olive oil until it is browned.  After you brown the first side, flip and add onion, garlic & peppers.  Watch that it doesn't burn.  When vegetables start to soften a bit add the chicken stock.  Add the remaining spices. Cook over stove on low heat for 1 hour.   I keep it uncovered so the sauce evaporates slightly.  Skim fat if needed.  I keep the skin on the chicken for the fullest flavor.  It will eventually fall off during cooking.

After an hour, remove some of the juices and add into the sour cream.  Blend and return sour cream to pot.  Do not let this come back to full boil, but gently simmer until heated. This is very low carb (up until this point!) Serve over noodles or dumplings. 

Dumplings:

4 eggs
1tsp salt
3 cups flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 cup water
4 qts of boiling salted water
 
Mix above ingredients in bowl and drop by teaspoon into rapidly boiling, salted water in a pot large enough to give them room (4 qt.). 

Dumplings are done when they rise to the top.  I ladle some of the paprikash in the bottom of a dish, or you can add a few tablespoons of butter in with the dumplings once they are drained to keep them from sticking.

Garnish with parsley
Prijatno!

Please visit again as I have hundreds of ethnic recipes in my repetoire...lol....that I'd love to share with you!

5 comments:

  1. So glad you have joined the crazy world of blogging! I can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Martha makes it, believe me it will be great! She's a fabulous cook and everything else, so I'm so glad she's sharing her talents further. Looks marvelous, Martha! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for the kind words.
    Theresa, some I buy by the oz in Pittsburgh so I don't know the name. The hot paprika is by 'Horgoska'

    ReplyDelete
  4. ░ I tend to go for the hot paprika when I make this recipe. Your version looks delicious and I'll be sure not to miss trying it! But I will most likely go with potatoes. ░

    ReplyDelete